The Just Us League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

owl post || fabian & hermia

2 posters

Go down

owl post || fabian & hermia Empty owl post || fabian & hermia

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:16 pm

“Well, hello there, sunshine!”

owl post || fabian & hermia Tumblr_inline_ndytovOMHq1s3kbkq

“Guess whose O.W.L. results are in? Owl came 
     this morning – I haven’t opened the letter, but I thought 
     we could look over them together. I’m sure you did
     absolutely spectacularly.”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

https://justusleague.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

owl post || fabian & hermia Empty Re: owl post || fabian & hermia

Post by lindarkness Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Hermia  bit her lip.
  She had dreaded this moment since she had walked out from her first OWL exam. She had been sweaty, then, her fingers shaking her breath catching in her throat, threatening to make her faint…
  The echo of that feeling was returning now, as she struggled to avoid looking her father in the eye.
owl post || fabian & hermia Tumblr_inline_ne14f27KLu1s90whx
  “You don’t have to do that, Dad”, she said weakly.
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:51 pm

“Come on, sweetheart – you know me better than that,” Fabian said, slinging an arm over Hermia's shoulder affectionately. “If you think I'm going to miss the chance to embarrass you with my fatherly pride, you've got another thing coming. I only wish your brothers and sisters were around, so that there were more people to watch you blush.”

owl post || fabian & hermia Smilng11

He waved the letter in her general direction. “Come on, let's see it! Merlin, I'm so glad all of you got your mother's brains – you'd be more than half useless with what I've got rattling around up there.”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:09 pm

The girl would have tried to protest, tried to give some excuse why she couldn't be around at that moment, why he could not look at that thing while she was in the room with him, but the moment she felt her father's arm around her, all the words within her were suffocated by the crushing weight of her own shame, doubled with his expectations. 
       Merlin, in just a few moments he would know just how useless she was. 
owl post || fabian & hermia Tumblr19
       "No...", she tried to get out her thoughts, but the small attempt at speech very soon proved to be a mistake. A gasp fell through her mouth, channelled by the overwhelming heat that had suddenly built up in her throat, and before she knew it, ugly, wet tears were emerging from her, and Hermia had absolutely no means with which to stop them, except to turn away.
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:18 pm

The sound of any of his children crying never failed to awaken the most paternal of instincts in Fabian. This was, no doubt, a relic of the days when he had had as many as six children below the age of ten running about his home, skinning knees and stubbing toes and otherwise finding their way into trouble. It evidently didn’t matter to him that his children were all grown up now, that his youngest had just finished his first year away at school or that his eldest had already graduated; his body immediately readied itself for action. Who needed a nappy changed? Who needed to be fed? Fabian Prewett had the situation under control. 

The problem was, his children had grown up. They were proper people now, all of them, with needs and problems beyond the basic necessities of life. The little ones were easy – feed them, keep them clean, give them love, and make sure they don’t end up hurting themselves too badly and they’re pretty much set. Once they got older, they were rather more complicated, and he had quickly discovered that, not only did Fabian Prewett not have the situation under control, he often hadn’t the slightest idea of what the situation even was in the first place.

The hardest part of being a parent, he had learned, was accepting that there were some problems his children had that he could not solve.

He was most conscious of this fact with Hermia. Sure, the others had their issues – Phoebe was always throwing some sort of tantrum, little Martin could be so very sensitive at times, and Gus was occasionally swallowed whole by impenetrable clouds of darkness, but Hermia was different. He didn’t like to admit it to himself – it was something no parent wanted to accept – but there was something deeply, deeply wrong with his daughter, and Fabian hadn’t the slightest idea of how to set it right. 

That was, of course, the point. He couldn’t set it right. As his wife continually reminded him, depression was an illness, a sickness of the mind that couldn’t be healed with a few hugs and a hot cup of tea. He had great difficulty accepting that; Fabian was an action-driven man who wanted problems to solve and solutions that would set everything right, and that approach simply did not work with his daughter. There wasn’t any specific reason for her illness, no specific cause he could eliminate to restore her to health and happiness. He could offer his support, but it was down to Hermia to make herself better. 

Now, in the present moment, he hadn’t the slightest idea if this outburst was related to her… condition, or if it had been triggered by something specific. That would, of course, determine what course of action he was to take, but before he could proceed, he needed to figure out how to begin.

That was a problem, wasn’t it?

Running a hand through his hair, Fabian muttered, “Shit… shit shit… Shit!”

owl post || fabian & hermia Huh10

For several moments, he managed nothing but a series of expressive but incomprehensible hand gestures until he regained control of his voice. “Hermie, love, is everything – are you – what – ?” In something of a panic, he suddenly blurted, “Is it, you know… that time of the month?”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:18 pm

She could not bare to turn around, could not bare to let him see her in that moment - not when her tears were burning on her cheeks, an unsteady drumbeat of her tightly-clenched heart, not when her boiling blood was bringing her skin into an uncomfortable, red heat, her oily pores swelling with sweat. Desperately, she kept trying to wipe the salty liquid off of her with the back of her hands, but the more she tried, the more it kept coming.
       It was not fair of her to hold her father on the edge like that, to make him worry about her like that, without giving even the slightest indication of what troubled her, of what he ought to say to her. He was upset, he did not need to say anything for her to feel it in the room. She could feel it in the air, in his anxious movement, in the artificial silence that only the messy sound of her own sobs could penetrate. And it was all her fault.
Still, she could not keep herself away from his presence for all too long, no matter how much she tried. In her vulnerability all she truly needed was some kind of comfort, and although the conscious part of her was protesting against it, it took only the fraction of a second for her head to be buried against her father's chest, without her having much of a picture of how she got there.

"I... I just want to go home...", she said, as her tears finally started to quiet down. And as soon as those words had so thoughtlessly left her mouth, she was already chastising herself for them in her mind. It didn't make any sense - she was home already, and even if her subconscious mind had meant someplace else, there was nothing it applied to - not her room, and certainly not Hogwarts.
So why had she said it if it would only serve to disturb her father further?
She could not decide if she craved a long sleep right now to forget about all of this, or sharp and lasting pain to punish herself for her failure. Her stomach curled as she realized it was both of these things. Suddenly, the girl felt suffocated by the embrace, her body surrounded by affection she didn't deserve.
She stepped back.
"I'm sorry", she said, wiping her tears, "I... I probably failed all of it"
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down