The Just Us League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

beginnings || barty & bellatrix

2 posters

Go down

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Empty beginnings || barty & bellatrix

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:40 pm

The parlour was in perfect order, the family house-elf having
     made its way through the room just moments before. The crystal
     on the shelves sparkled in the flickering candlelight, and the space 
     was pleasantly warm because of the crackling fireplace.

When her guest arrived, Bellatrix was sitting on the sofa
     opposite the fire, legs crossed demurely and back held straight, as
     befitted a woman of her standing. At his entrance, she waved for
     her husband to leave them in peace.

A calm smile on her face, she gestured for the boy to
     approach.

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nehiq5ueRO1sljbsl

“Well, well, little one. We meet again. I do hope you weren’t
     planning to  b i t e  me this time.”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

https://justusleague.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Empty Re: beginnings || barty & bellatrix

Post by lindarkness Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:14 am

Barty knew the Lestrange manor. He had been there many times, 
in brief visits  when he was a young boy,  which increased in length 
and intensity as he grew up.  All roads that lead to it,  every step he 
took to get there,  he had committed to memory.  He knew the large 
walls  at  the  manors surface,  strangely untouched from  the  vast 
fields of plants,  and nature around it.  He knew the entrance hall, a 
long  floor  of  dark wood that never seemed to  end.  He  knew  the 
elaborate  dining room,  with its gold threaded  carpets,  expensive 
furniture, and the air of cold sophistication.
   He  knew  all of that like the back of his hand,  and yet,  when  he 
came  through the door,  it felt as though  he had entered the  place 
for the first time in his life.
beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nehmzzEPz21s3nbas
   She did not stand up to greet him  when he entered the room.  He 
had not expected her to,  and yet,  the way she sat there,  as though 
there  was nothing significant about his visit at all,  made him grow 
uncomfortable in all the wrong places; it made him feel like a child 
again, when now more than ever,  he should have been treated like 
a man. The way she addressed him didn’t help much, either.
                                                       He had a feeling, she wanted him 
                                                                         to prove himself to her.
   ”You still remember that?”, he asked.
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:45 am

Bellatrix laughed, white teeth gleaming in the candlelight. 
     The tinkling sound was just a touch too practised, too artificial 
     to be taken as a genuine expression of amusement.

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nf1vdurBlt1sljbsl

Still, when she spoke, there was fondness behind her 
     words. “Of course. You made quite the impression, my dear, 
     young though you were. I liked your spirit. I remain hopeful that 
     you haven’t changed too much in that respect.”

She eyed him meaningfully, inviting him to reply. In truth, 
     he didn’t need to say anything. The fact that he was standing 
     before her was proof enough that the same fire still burned within 
     him.

It was merely a matter of determining how best to channel 
     that energy. 
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:48 am

In the dulled light of her laughter, the boy allowed the brief flicker of a 
smirk  to dance over his lips.  He made sure to extinguish that with the 
next moment,  still,  for the boy was far too eager to get to the point, far 
too aware  of the profound meaning of the situation,  far too anxious  to 
impress to be able to humour her properly.
   He tried to tell himself to have patience,  to hide his desperation from
her - it would be foolish of him to show that kind of weakness, now that 
everything depended on her being convinced of his strength.
beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nf1ybkE2tQ1s3nbas
   ”My methods have improved  beyond just biting,  you know”,  he said, 
trying his best to keep the pitch of his voice from betraying the intensity 
of his feelings, “I’m not a child anymore”
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:49 am

“That much is clear. You’re a young man now, Mr Crouch.”
          Bellatrix was toeing a delicate line, talking to the boy. On the one hand, she could not allow the slightest hint of condescension to creep into her voice, or she would push him away completely. They were all like that, these young recruits – staggering under the weight of their own perceived self-importance and demanding to be met with respect that they had yet to earn. But on the other, though she could not treat him like the child he still was, she would not speak to him as like the adult he believed himself to be. He was still a novice, inexperienced and untested, and he needed to learn his place.
          Fortunately, she was nothing if not a master of the subtleties of conversation.
          “I'm sure you have learned much since then –– wise beyond your years as you are, I'm sure you've taken full advantages of all that Hogwarts has to offer. No doubt you've knowledge beyond what any mere student could hope to attain.”
          Here her eyes lit up, and her smile became almost predatory.

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nfb3yxKtTO1sljbsl

“I can teach you more.”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:51 am

The boy had not noticed that he had, step by step, slowly been walking closer to her while she spoke, until he had already closed almost half of the distance between them and he was standing only a few inches away from the large coffee table. When he became aware of it, Barty couldn’t bring himself to feel embarrassed by the accidental display of his own eagerness - too distracted was he by the way of her words, too taken in by her compliments, too intrigued by her promises.
    She could teach him more.
    For a moment he was at a loss of words, not because he did not know what to say, but rather, because he did not think to say anything at all, while his eyes were still locked on her lips, his ears entranced by her words, and his mind drowning in anticipation.
    Yes, she would teach him more, she would teach him what she knew, and he would rise, and rise above.All he had to do, was show her who he was, and his wishes were to come true. He knew.  
    Yet, he was not one to keep his head in the clouds, and strive for nothing more than knowledge for knowledge’s sake when there were higher things to aim for. No, he was practical - he wanted a place within the Death Eaters, and he would come by this goal only with her approval.
beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nfcvu4yy5P1s3nbas
    “That’s what I’m here for”, he said, “I don’t care if it won’t be easy… I will.. I’m here for it”
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:53 am

Bellatrix did not make any outward indication that she had noticed the boy’s approach. Drawing attention to his seemingly unconscious act could spook him, halting him in his tracks. Inwardly, though, she was bursting with the exaltation of the hunt, her eyes alight as she stared unblinkingly at her prey.

He was almost within her grasp now. She needn’t even give chase, so willingly did he stumble into her jaws.
          “can help you attain power beyond imagining,” she said, voice low. “can show you how to strike fear into the hearts of your enemies, to take what you want from this world and brush aside those who dare to stand in your way without a second thought. I will give you the education you have always known that you deserve, and with me to guide you, you will grow into the wizard you are meant to become – potent, invulnerable, and unstoppable.”
          The bait was placed. She could see how he burned with desire for all that she promised.
          It was time to spring her trap.
          This final stage was the most delicate of all. To secure a man’s service was simplicity itself if one had the means to give him what he wanted. Dangle a carrot before a horse and the beast would follow blindly. The ranks of the Death Eaters brimmed with that sort – those seeking power, those desperate for protection, those drawn to the opportunity to act out their most sadistic of fantasies. But she would not allow the boy to become just another follower. 
          To earn his unconditional loyalty would be a different matter entirely. She had won his mind already, that much was clear, but she needed his heart, his soul. She wanted him to surrender himself to her completely, and she wanted him to do it of his own free will.
          She simply had to give him reason enough.
          Rising to her feet, she said, “You are a very special young man, Mr Crouch. So wise, so driven for one so young. I would not offer what I have to just anybody – I would not waste my time attempting to enrich the mind of fools like Malcolm Avery or Evan Rosier – but I can see your potential.”

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nfdjuqAfi51sljbsl

Staring intently into his eyes, she said, “The sorts of things that I hope to impart are beyond the grasp of lesser minds. The magic I will teach would haunt the nightmares of those too weak to stomach real power. If I am to invest my time and energy in you, I must know that I have not put my faith in the wrong man. You must earn my respect, prove to me that you are worthy.”
          She smiled sweetly. “know that you will not disappoint me.”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:57 am

All the constellations in the sky must have been shining in his eyes at this moment. He was like a fly, captivated by a bright light, not quite realising that he was flying directly into the fire. And his eyes -  they grew he wider with each passing second, his gaze glued on her like there was no other sight in the whole wide world.
   If only he could reach out…
   His left knew only barely brushed against the wooden table, and with that, Barty became aware of his surroundings once more, the implication of them crushing down on his subconscious like a sudden storm.
   The boy was standing in her house, in her very living space, and yet, he could not touch her, could not truly enter her sphere just yet. It was almost frustrating to him to be standing so close to her, so close to his goal, and still see so much distance between them.
   Her words, meant to lure, meant to draw him in, only served to make him more impatient, to fill him with more wanting. He realized it, and yet, he did not care for it - he loved it, the fact that she cared about winning him over, yet he was too eager to move beyond that. Couldn’t she see that he was right there already, right where she wanted him? What else would it take for her to get to the next step, to get started with him already.
   He yearned for progress, to be more than just a desperate pupil, waiting to be picked. He wanted - no, he needed more than that, needed to stand right beside her, to be part of it all, to act for the Dark Lord.
   Still, Barty did not think himself naive. He had yet to show her all of his potential, had yet to live up to the promise he knew she could see in him, and for a place in the ranks, to get where he wanted to be, he needed to earn it.  
                                 potent, invulnerable, and unstoppable
   It was more than momentary power that he wanted from the Death Eaters - and he knew that she could sense this - nor did he  only want power for himself. In his point of view, there was much selflessness in his desires, contradicting as this might sound. He was not one of those impulse-driven apes who only longed for pleasure and power for themselves, without seeing the long term, without a single thought for the greater cause. No, Barty knew his vision was much greater than that.
   ”I want to… I want to serve Him. Your teachings… There is more… um… There is more than just myself. There is a goal to be reached.”
   The boy almost wanted to bite off his own tongue for all his damned awkwardness and stuttering. It was unlike him to feel so insecure, so vulnerable in conversation, and yet, he laid himself open for her. For all the rush to go further, he ended up stumbling over his words, still he needed to get a hold of himself, despite the heat of his body.
   ”I can be of great use”, he added, his voice much steadier, backing up his words with much greater force - perhaps a bit more than necessary. Though he did not know why, Barty still felt the urge to convince her to consider him, to justify his presence, even though she had already chosen him for a potential member, even though it was her who invited him here.
beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nfmgx7KFau1s3nbas
                                 You are a very special young man.
   He looked up to Bellatrix as the expression in his eyes betrayed only for a second the plea he was forming in his mind, but did not dare to say out loud. It took him a moment to catch his breath again.
   ”Just say the word - how - what I need to do. 
                                                    I will not back down”
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:23 am

She had him now.
          She could see the hunger in his eyes, could hear the urgency in his voice. He was chomping at the bit now, beyond eager to take all that she had offered to give as quickly as he could.
          Well. He would have to learn to be patient.
          Bellatrix was a woman of her word; she would not make promises that she did not intend to keep. But they had a long path ahead of them, and the boy would need to learn to control his impatience if they were to succeed.
          Teaching him spells would not prove to be the difficult part of their endeavour. As long as one had the talent, and she had strong reason to believe that the boy did, learning new forms of magic was simplicity itself. But to command the dark forces that Bellatrix had learned to marshall, one needed more than skill. A wizard had to fortify himself from within, to build up his endurance and gain mastery over his mind. He must be strong, and such strength would not come easily, especially to one as young and inexperienced as Barty.
          The boy had potential. It was her responsibility that he achieved all that he was meant to do.

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nfohukq11H1sljbsl

“Your dedication impresses me,” she said, offering him a genuine smile. “Your determination to accomplish your goals likewise. What I have proposed requires great strength of will, and I am pleased to see that you appear to possess that quality.”
          More than all of that, she was pleased to see just how readily he had fallen under her influence. It was almost as though he wanted to be controlled.
          She settled back on the couch, allowing her shoulders to slump slightly, her eyelids to droop. In actuality, she wasn’t remotely tired –– she was positively buzzing with anticipation after their conversation. But she needed to pace herself, to take her time with the boy, and if she allowed herself to get caught up in the excitement of the moment, she could very well end up pushing Barty towards things he was not yet ready to face.
          “But I am tired,” she said. “You will forgive me if I postpone our first lesson until the morning. You can return tomorrow at ten o’clock, I trust?”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:28 am

His body was a boiling pot of adrenaline, endorphines, blood, and anticipation. He had to concentrate, to take his energy to keep his body from shaking all too visibly, his feet from jumping forward. Yet, it was not enough to keep his eyes from staring.
   If she had asked him to hide a body for her right then, he would have gone about the task skipping like a little girl.
   He needed to hold his tongue as not to ask her for some kind of continuation right at this moment. He knew that whatever came next had to come from her, it was just how they worked together, after this unspoken code that they bozh understood and followed without fail. He knew his place now.
   And so, the boy remained on the edge of his feet, a knot of tension and energy bundled up inside him, only waiting for him to unlock it for her. The moment of silence usually would have dragged the conversation into awkwardness, but for him, it only fed his anticipation, a drum roll before the curtain finally opened.
   When the woman opened her mouth to start speaking, Barty held his breath, waiting only for her command.
   Her first words he took as a final note of acknowledgement, a nod to his qualifications, and a promise to take him with her in the next breath. It was leading up to something, he knew that. It would be a matter of mere seconds.
   He stood waiting, he broke free from his momentary paralysis, he almost stumbled forward when she moved backwards, only clumsily stopping himself from falling into the table, and then—
   There was nothing.
   One could quite literally pinpoint the exact moment of his disappointment, could observe in detail the physical anticlimax of his entire being, as his shoulders slowly slouched  downwards, his knees grew softer and his feet took only one small step backwards.
  As he was processing her words, he took a few deep breaths, if only to keep himself from jumping at her with a foolish remark that would have much lessened his chances of er inviting her to her again. Still, when he spoke to her, he was unable to keep the surprise out of his voice completely.
beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr_inline_nfzds0UgxJ1s3nbas
   ”I-I only just came”, he said, “I… I mean… is that all you wanted from me tonight?”
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:20 pm

Bellatrix could see the exact moment when the boy registered his disappointment with the delay. In an instant, the rush of anticipation that had been coursing through him had fallen away. He was a limp puppet, strings abandoned by its controlling hands.

She could understand his keenness, his need for progress. She had been much the same before she had learned to curb her impatience. Before her master had taught her to control herself. It was a difficult task, containing and harnessing the enthusiasm of youth. It took more than dedication to a cause to rein in that energy.

A foolish child could easily justify recklessness in his studies as martyrdom. He might even court destruction out of desperation for glory.

Fine. Let the others throw their lives away – let Rosier and Mulciber and Snape and all the rest fall, to be nothing more than collateral damage in the end.

Barty Crouch Jr had a grander fate ahead of him.

Bellatrix needed the boy to accept a new view of himself. He must believe himself to be useful and indispensable. Though the Dark Lord’s army was full to bursting with self-important fools who believed themselves vital to success but who, in truth, could just as well serve the Order for all the good they did the cause, and as irritating as she found that perspective, it was only with confidence that Barty would be able to achieve all that he was meant to do. 

He needed to believe himself capable and worthy, or else all of this would be for naught. 

That meant taking their time with his training, ensuring that he learned everything as well as he could. It meant instilling in him enough of a sense of self-preservation to allow him to survive long enough to make enough of an impact. 

He needed to realise just who he was serving, and what was required of him. He needed to understand that he had been deemed worth the time it would take for her to train him, and he needed to behave accordingly.

Firstly, he would need to surrender fully to her. That would not happen tonight – no, she had other plans in store for that – but she would lay the foundation for that moment right now.

He would learn that the only way to get what he wanted was to obey.

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Impass12

“I believe I said that I was tired,” she said, a suddenly harsh note in her voice. “If you cannot contain your impatience enough to wait until the morning, perhaps you are not the pupil I am looking to train.”

By the end of this conversation, his only response to an order to wait should be, ‘How long?’.
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Barty didn't let anything about his disposition change in the while that he was awaiting her answer. His face kept the same expression of startled confusion, patiently waiting for her to provide him with an explanation, and no muscle in his body was yet ready to release any of the tension that he was holding in store, still. It as almost as though he was holding his breath, though not literally, for truly, he wasn't entirely sure he would have been able to hold that out for as long as she let him wait for her response.
    Yet, when she finally spoke, a part of him might have almost wished that she would have said nothing and all and left him to his waiting. Another part of him shoved that weakness out of his mind as soon as it manifested. What kind of wizard was he if he couldn't take something as light as being scolded? For as much as her words had stung, it would have been far worse if he had found that she was right.
    And yes, her word had stung him, had made him physically wince, had hurt and affected him in a way that had surprised even himself. It was like she had uncovered a previously unknown spot in his soul, one that was still soft, warm, and easily tingled at the slightest touch, only to beat it until it was sore. So, when he heard her, his first instincts had told him to mend it immediately, to put himself in the defensive and start reassuring her about his intentions, apologizing, and telling her that he would do whatever she wanted from him, whenever she wanted. The words had been on the tip of his tongue, right before he bit them back when he finally realized the true motivation behind her tone.
    She had snapped at him out of annoyance, irritation, because she wanted him to leave her be, not because she truly wished to threaten to throw him out for good, just for asking a simple question. It was a tone of voice he recognized only all too well from all the times his mother had been too exhausted to look him in the eye, and listen to him go on about whatever rubbish it had been that he had found interesting when he had still been a young, and foolish child.
    Maybe Bellatrix truly was tired.
    Then again, had she not stressed times over how very important this moment was, how much it meant for both of them to be present right now, and to discuss their plans for the future? This was the woman who, in the past few years, had singled him out specifically, so she could lead him to this moment. This was the woman to whom he owed almost everything that he had to strive for right now. She, of all people, knew how important this was, and so, whatever it was that had exasperated her so, it must have been something serious.
beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr14
    His features softened ever so slightly as realization dawned upon him. Of course - she was sick, or at least, hurt in some way. It was the most reasonable conclusion that he could draw to explain her sudden change in demeanour, and yet, he could not quite bring himself to believe it, could not believe that she - Bellatrix Lestrange, the Bellatrix Lestrange who appeared to him a beacon of strength and fortitude - could be weakened at all, let alone get sick, like his own, withering mother. She was not like that.
    Still, he could not shake the worry that something was off.
    "I was just... surprised, that's all", he said, his voice uncharacteristically quiet, "Is... is everything alright? I mean... are you well?"
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Even before her feelings had coalesced into conscious thought, Bellatrix was burning with fury. The boy's pity was utterly repellant to her. Did he really think her to be so frail?

Of course he did, just as all the others did. She knew what her fellow Death Eaters thought of her – that she was afflicted by feminine weakness and consequently had no place in their organization. That she should surrender her mask and take her rightful place in her husband's shadow, as was her duty as a pureblood daughter.

Fools, all of them. How dare they continue to doubt her so long after she had proved her worthiness. How dare they question their master's judgment so openly. Did they not realise that she never could have attained her rank if she were not as competent as she had shown herself to be?

Thankfully for the boy, her rational mind caught up with her before her anger could tempt the reckless, caustic words she was biting back off her tongue. As annoyed as she still was, she recognised that the concern in his voice was genuine; his question was motivated by worry, not by contempt.

He clearly cared about her well-being, enough so that Bellatrix knew she could use his feelings towards her to her advantage. He cared about her; that was incredibly valuable, and she would be foolish to dismiss the opportunity simply because of her resentments. 

“I apologise,” she said, voice suddenly soft and very small, a striking contrast to her previous hostility. “I didn't mean to lose my temper with you. But you see – ” Here she cast him a sad smile. “ – my strength fails me. After so many years spent fighting this war, I am not the witch I once was. I tire easily; I haven't the energy I did in my youth. I am unable to serve my master as I would like to do.”

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Ernest10

Affecting a desperate tone of voice, she reached out to firmly grasp the boy's shoulder. “You see, this is why I must pass on my teachings – I have learned so much from the Dark Lord, but, diminished as I am, I am unable to use my knowledge to its full advantage.” She looked him directly in the eyes. “I am depending on you, Barty. You must continue my work.”
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lindarkness Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:18 pm

The floor beneath his feet was slowly burning away, leaving him stranded and without any point to hold on to. A slow wave of heat was creeping upon his legs, and soon his entire body was filled with a cold fire, until his head had grown dizzy, until his eyesight was reduced to just a blur. The sensation lasted for less than a moment, still it made an impact on the boy. It latched onto him like ants crawling underneath his skin. He could not shake it.

His stomach clenched inside of him, his skin growing harder with each moment that she chose to remain in her silence. Barty could not say another word, could not breathe, could not take his eyes off her until she did. Forgotten was his fight, his disappointment over her previous dismissal. Even his excitement, his purpose and his drive were, if not forgotten, pushed into the back of his mind. Now, he was entirely focussed on Bellatrix, her expression, her movements, and finally, her words. 

beginnings || barty & bellatrix Tumblr21

Once she finally spoke, Barty could do little but stare at her blankly, his face a witnessed just how dumbstruck he was by her admission, and still while his mind ought to have been occupied with more selfless musings he still could not help but feel ashamed of how stupid he must seem to her in that moment. How the heat in his cheeks, the vacant expression in his eyes as he tried to figure out what was going on made him seem like a little girl. 

He did not want to look weak in front of her.

Although he had understood her words on a technical level, the boy could not for the life of him comprehend why she was saying them, or how they fit into this picture. No matter how much he repeated and turned around her sentences in his head, he still knew that what she had said simply wasn't true. There was no way around that. 

Yet, she seemed sincere in her message and it went without saying that he trusted her to be truthful. 

Barty frowned. He tried to get a better look at her, maybe to reevaluate his assessment of her. Sure, her eyes were a little heavy with dark circles, her expression was raw and word-weary, and her posture was far more sullen and vulnerable than what he was used to seeing her with - to the point where he was uncomfortable even being there with her. He felt strangely like an intruder, even though it had been her who had opened herself up to him like that.

But still... he could not bring himself to assign these symptoms to anything but a singular case of exhaustion or maybe a sudden sickness. It was simply impossible for it to be any more than that, not when the woman he was standing in front of was none other than Bellatrix Lestrange, the most fearsome and powerful woman he had ever met. 

"I... I... can't believe..." 

His voice caught in his throat, and suddenly he found he had not much of it left to continue on. The boy shook his head to throw that feeling off of him and tried to continue on as best as he could.

"Maybe 20, 30 years from now you could say this to me again and I would believe you, but I doubt it", he said. His voice had an odd tone to it this time for it was unusually quiet, without any of the strong passion behind it that usually accompanied the things he said, no matter how much he tried to hide it. Instead, it had a certain softness in it, a degree of caring. 

Out of his mouth it sounded completely foreign. It almost frightened him a little. 

"Your sickness will fade soon, and even now, however tired you may be, there is only One stronger than you"
lindarkness
lindarkness
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down