The Just Us League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the ambassador || mary & romeo

2 posters

Go down

the ambassador || mary & romeo Empty the ambassador || mary & romeo

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:00 pm

As always, making the linguistic shift from English to 
Korean left Mary feeling slightly disoriented. Fluency 
was not the issue – she had been speaking the         
language with her mother as long as she had been   
able to talk. It was more that her thoughts didn't         
seem to quite translate properly. It was hardly            
noticeable, but she felt like a slightly different             
person when she switched out of thinking in English. 

Still, Professor Dumbledore had asked specifically    
that she greet the exchange student in his mother     
tongue, and she wasn't planning to let her                  
discomfort get in the way of her task.                          

As Mary settled into her temporary seat at the           
Ravenclaw table, she cast the boy her most               
welcoming smile.                                                         

the ambassador || mary & romeo Smileb10

Hello,” She said, ignoring the curious eyes fixed        
upon her. The other Ravenclaws were not her            
problem. “My name is Mary Macdonald. I am a fifth    
year Gryffindor, and Professor Dumbledore has         
asked that I help you settle into life here. On behalf    
of Gryffindor house, welcome to Hogwarts!”                
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

https://justusleague.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

the ambassador || mary & romeo Empty Re: the ambassador || mary & romeo

Post by sayum Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Romeo looked up from where he had been enjoying breakfast alone. The food was not the enjoyable part, though it was pretty good. No, the enjoyable part was all of the curious looks he was gathering. Not many people transferred to Hogwarts and Romeo always enjoyed being whispered about and stared at like the celebrity he deserved to be. He knew he had to enjoy the free version while it lasted before actually working for attention.

"Well you are pleased with yourself aren't you?" Romeo said in Korean. He would have used English but there were a few Ravenclaw girls who looked like they were dying for him to show off how exotic he was. The British were so easy to please and Romeo was so happy to please them. He continued when he heard their giggles and whispers. 

the ambassador || mary & romeo Cuteha10

"Mary, was it? We are probably the only Koreans here and in Korea we are the only ones without Korean names. Celebrities by default. Its a gift and a curse." Romeo smiled obviously in the direction of the girls who blushed and continued to whisper excitedly.
sayum
sayum
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thegirlnamedcrow Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:38 pm

It was only Mary’s years of practise controlling her expressions that prevented
her brows from furrowing in unseemly fashion. For a moment, she thought      
that she had misunderstood, confusing a perfectly normal statement for          
rudeness, but she didn’t think that to be the case. She also didn’t think that     
his comment could be explained away by mere cultural differences; surely if   
she said something like that to her mother, she would be punished for her      
insolence.                                                                                                           

Mary was not the boy’s mother, and she was not his prefect. She had no        
authority over him, really. The best course of action, was to simply act as       
though she had misunderstood.                                                                        

Yes, Im’ very pleased to have the opportunity to share the castle with a new 
student,” she said with a natural but insincere smile. “I have so much to show
you.”                                                                                                                  

At his next words, Mary became uncomfortably aware of the people around  
them. Specifically, of the girls chittering away, casting inquisitive glances      
their way. She didn’t like the way they were looking at her; she couldn’t         
shake the feeling that they were making fun of her.                                         

Let them. Their opinions didn’t matter. Indeed, they were showing their         
ignorance. She was hardly the only bilingual student on campus. She wa     
not exactly exotic.                                                                                             

the ambassador || mary & romeo Smilin11

Turning her attention back to the boy, she took a moment to brighten her     
smile before saying, “I’ll have to take your word for that. I’m afraid I’ve          
never been to Korea. But you are right to assume that we are the only          
Korean students presently at Hogwarts.”                                                        
thegirlnamedcrow
thegirlnamedcrow
Admin

https://justusleague.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sayum Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:50 pm

"What? You haven't? Well, you should pilgrimage in the summer. You are more than welcome at mine. Mother is simply delighted whenever I bring a girl home. Seems to think I am going to marry them straight off but never you mind, I will hold you to no such commitment."

He was so caught up in the idea that she was fluent in their language without being from their country that he completely forgot about the Ravenclaw girls. He patted the seat next to him, beckoning the Gryffindor to sit. He changed languages abruptly.

the ambassador || mary & romeo Profil11

"Great, you can fill me in on the British slang I am lacking. Its mad trying to figure it all out on a text book level. Is it true people here use Merlin's name like a swear word? Its a curse in Korea but more like the Muggle deity Satan than saying 'bloody hell'. We have our own magical Korean Christ. Not nearly as impressive in the beard department but still..."

Romeo stopped talking to drink. He knew he was rambling but he felt entitled. She was the first student that had spoken to him and he needed to practice his English, though it was very good to begin with.
sayum
sayum
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down